The Importance of Local Food, part 1: Dismantling of Distance and Time

I wrote an article and published in the Food Shift blog on Medium: The Importance of Local Food, part 1: Dismantling of Distance and Time

[…] when you visit the local grocery there is no trace of Swedish fennel. Instead there are lots of pale, wilted, overripe or underripe vegetables from Spain, The Netherlands and all over the globe. That feels just plain wrong. Why is that? Why isn’t the shelves packed with crisp just harvested local produce?! Because that is what we want, isn’t it? For me and many others, the emotional reply is: of course! We like the idea of purchasing our greens straight from the farmer. So much that marketing people for ages have been using this, capitalising on our longing with tempting (and often fake) stories.

In this article series I will take a deeper look at some of the reasons why local food is one of the most important keys to reversing climate change and Living Happily Ever After.

Apparently I have promised to write a number of follow ups, namely:

1. Distance, the climate and the environment (this article)
  2. The local economy
  3. Quality, taste and nutrition
  4. Tradition, pride, community, the purpose of life
  5. Food safety, resilience

Have I missed something? As if the above reasons are not enough. Are there more major reasons as to why local food needs to be just that? Local.