Project Kitchen #3 - Mushrooms & Fungi

Lets have a conversation around Fungi! Are you or would you like to grow mushrooms or mycelium? What are your interests and questions right now and is there something you are excited to share with other fungofiles?

What’s a project kitchen? It’s something we’ve borrowed from Enspiral and explaned like this:

“The format brings together a small number of people who have projects they would like assistance with and puts one project at a time under the spotlight for around 25 minutes. Generally 3-4 projects can be covered in a 2-hour Kitchen. A Chef facilitates; with the role of creating an atmosphere of trust, keeping things rolling, and avoiding wasting time through the process.”

This seminar might be in english as we hope to have at least one international speaker in the group. I will facilitate the event. Please mark going if you want to come and grab one of 5 seats!

Welcome!

3 Likes

Välkomna på samtal imorgon @murkas och @MalinPeson. Det kommer också vara jag och troligen 2 personer till som inte lyckats registrera sig här. Vi syns 15.00 på: https://zoom.us/j/589227693 :computer: :smile: :mushroom:

Thank you everyone for participating today! Wonderful session, I am so pulled towards setting up a lab right now. One thing I’ll post here is a copy from Glyph’s Scuttlebutt post that I mentioned in the call. It seems to be a very elegant and low-tech way to produce a whole bunch of spawn. Thanks Glyph for letting me repost it here!

All-in-one Myco Bags

Trying out this elegant tek I learned from the Radical Mycology book. When prepping bags for wood lovers ( Hericium erinaceus in this case), embed a disk of cooked wheat grain into the bulk substrate (hemp hurd, coir, gypsum) and then sterilize. Once cooled, inject liquid culture (mycelium) through the bag and onto the grain disk. Incubate the bags and let the mycelium colonise the grain. Once fully colonized, break up the grain disk and mix the contents of the bag. Each myceliated kernel then serves as a leap-off point for the mycelium to colonise the bulk substrate. Genius.

So simple, so beautiful! No need to colonise grain in separate jars and then transfer the contents to the bag. Less waste, fewer contamination vectors, less washing up.

Update 1

I’ve created six bags with this technique and have not had any contamination issues yet. The incubation times have been incredibly short! Here’s the basic timeline to date:

12 July - sterilized and inoculated 4 bags
17 July - sterilized and inoculated 2 more bags
23 July - broke up the grain disk in each bag and distributed (bag stays closed for this process)
2 August - moved all 6 bags into the fruiting chamber and cut two small X’s into each bag
9 August - primordia already emerging from the X’s (photo below)

So that’s a maximum of 21 days from inoculation to fruiting conditions and roughly 29 days from inoculation to primordia formation, all with very little energy expenditure in between.

I am guessing you are just injecting with syringe through the plastic so, just a tiny amount of liquid mycelium?

That’s correct. All six bags were inoculated from a single jar of liquid culture and we still have lots to spare (each bag received 5-10 ml of LC).

I’ll update this thread when the first mushrooms are harvested.

Update 2

I’m very happy with the technique. The first flush from these bags stalled when the mushrooms were approximately 10 cm in diameter, most likely due to cold ambient temperatures (we do not currently heat our cultivation space). Those mushrooms were harvested and I’m hoping the warmer conditions will bring about a solid second flush.

We lost two of eight bags to Trichoderma. I believe the contamination occurred when my cultivation partner was sealing the bag after sterilization.

I now have king oyster ( Pleurotus eryngii ) and garden giant ( Stropharia rugosoannulata ) liquid cultures ready to go and will be utilising the same in-all-on bag technique with those. The king oyster spawn will go into mini-buckets for personal food supply and the garden giant will be spawned to soaked woodchips in a cardboard box (for starting outdoor beds). It is time to ride the wave of rising warmth into the heart of summer.

2 Likes

Also here is some materials that Glyph had created that we didn’t go through in the call:
https://hackmd.io/QaincguDSvG8lxodJXEPbw?view

So great! Really usefull info. Spreading like spores…
Thank you all for the talk today!

2 Likes

Further reflections from the talk today.

Just to get an idea of what sort of subjects there is information and experience around here I’ll just summarize out of memory some of the things we talked about.

• Possibilities of cultivation of gourmet mushrooms in sweden
    • Unlikely to be easy to compete in price with large scale production of growbags coming out of mechanized factories in the EU for species like Shiitake and other gourmet mushrooms
    • Looking into WOOFing as a possibility to help run a mushroom buisness, but major drawbacks in time it takes to get peoples skill up enough to do the work
    • Many other possibilities around choosing specific nutritional supplement health food approaches for better margins that where people are more interested in knowing exactly how they we’re produced
  • the experience of starting a business by importing powders to start in order to bootstrap production was shared and how that can be supplemented by incrementally adding things like extracts and tinktures that are very high value from a rather limited production of mycelium and fruitbodies
  • Growing mycelium on edible substrate (like brown rice) as a vegan substitute food
  • Possibilities of using bean husks as an input for mushroom production, there is lots of it ready for experimentation on the west coast (talk to @murkas)
  • Some minimum requirements for a small mushroom operation:
    • Flow hood + hepa
    • Fridge
    • 3x3 m, ok for culturing
    • 5-10x5-10m, use shelving to pack space
    • Fruiting room same size as incubation
    • Roll shelves
    • Double door out of fruiting
    • Substrate prep area - close to incubation space

For greenhouse growing of mushrooms here are some possibilities:

• Reishi on logs, partially submerged in soil
  • 3-5 years
  • Pump air from fruiting room to greenhouse space.

Outdoor and remediation work

• Oyster are good outdoor beginners (especially elm oyster has been shown to be a good companion species in gardenbeds)
  • Wine cap (Stropharia) is known to be the best mushroom patch species, likes bacterial rich spaces! Straw on top makes great support for primordia formation and early fruitbodies
  • Reishi on semisubmerged logs, like inbetween tomatoplants makes for good microclimates for the fruitbodies (slightly tropical and will do best in temps up to 30degrees)
  • For outdoor/remediation work, fruitbodies are probably fine to eat unless they contain heavy metals, some species bio-accumulate more than others, some areas are more polluted than others. Best way to know is to test, partner with a chemistry student at university if doing projects!

Eduaction:

• Education in the area is soarly lacking
  • Need for community college courses and lectures
  • Workshops and trainings are a great way to supplement enterprises, lots of interest from people these days, fungi are entering into many conversations (health, nutition, remidiation, soil, water, mental health)
  • Everybody is excited for the film Fantastic Fungi
4 Likes

Thanks to all for the fun and illuminating conversation, and thanks @zaunders for the invitation and excellent summary. I was quite fascinated to learn how many challenges and questions we have in common. The call deepened my resolve to grow relationships with other cultivators and the myco-curious.

In related news: We installed our first wine cap (Stropharia rugosoannulata) woodchip bed on Thursday. Now I must practice patience :blush: I’ll post updates on Scuttlebutt.

3 Likes

Awesome! I am looking forward to those updates. Thanks a lot for coming online and sharing your experience @glyph!

I love that you are here so maybe I can ping you in other Fungi related adventures we undertake here and I hope we get to invite you further when you get closer geographically too!

@Martin_Hollmer if you wanted to stay in contact with Glyph you can create posts with questions here in the fungi category so that we others can learn along side you (there is also a possibility to write private messages on the platform too if need be :wink:). Also, I recommend connecting with @glyph on Scuttlebutt too to get more of this fungal goodness!